Energy Efficient Homes
Greenleaf is vigilant in keeping up with the latest technology in order to build a more energy efficient home while keeping a balance between cost and material. While total green building is a possibility for those that want it, the following are the standards we incorporate currently as a matter of course.
1. Tight construction
- All exterior joints and rim joists are sealed to prevent air infiltration
- All electrical outlets located in exterior wall are sealed with air-barrier outlet boxes to prevent air infiltration
- Continuous air/vapor barrier at all plumbing and heating penetrations to prevent air infiltration
- Recessed lighting is in an air-locked canister for increased insulation and to prevent air infiltration
- Foundation waterproofing eliminates wet basement problems
- 2 X 6 construction
2. Tight ducts
- Sealed ductwork (supplies and returns) to prevent air leakage
in wall cavities and to provide air pressure balance in ducts.
3. High Performance Anderson windows
- Low E which blocks ultra violet rays
4. Therma Tru doors are insulated and rated high efficiency.
5. Improved insulation R-38 in the ceilings, R-21 in the walls
6. Heating and Air conditioning systems
- 90-93% efficient gas furnaces
- Programmable thermostats to reduce heat and A/C when
- Not at home or sleeping
- High efficiency ceiling fans which can save up to 40% of summer cooling costs and 10% of winter heating
- Most appliances are energy star but this is the buyers choice
HEALTH AND ENERGY
- RADON mitigation piping is installed in the walls of the home in case there is a future need for the buyer to install a system.
- Improved balance of energy efficiency and air filtration
- Central Vacuum systems to again reduce allergens and dust mites
- Water conservation: Water flow restrictors in all bathrooms
- Hardi – Plank is used for the siding. It is a fiber cement product which when primed on both sides needs painting every 10 15 years. It requires little maintenance and it is fire resistant and insect resistant.
- The outside trim is a composite instead of pine. Again it requires minimal maintenance. It is made from recycled white plastic.